Tuesday 12 June 2012

Burger & Lobster : Worth the Wait



My first visit to Burger & Lobster was a learning curve. Having heard about it from a friend, I enticed my mum into taking me there under the guise of a quick family supper with my brother. Knowing that they have a 'no reservation' policy, we thought that arriving there not long after 6:30 on a Wednesday evening would surely be sufficiently early to beat the dinner rush...

On discovering that the waiting time was already at over an hour, my brother, who had had a long day at work, justifiably suggested that we cut our losses. However, having salivated over the idea of this meal all day I implored him to be patient... But when we were still fighting for a place at the bustling bar well over an hour and a half later, the guilt of my greed swelled to the point where I swore I would never bother going back there again.

But then we got our food.

The burger was unmistakably better than any that I have ever eaten before or since (and having a real penchant for burgers, that comprises a decent amount)! You know it's a seriously good burger when it doesn't even occur to you to want any condiments - in fact, the idea of adding ketchup would actually be a detriment, as it would only have masked the naturally sumptuous taste of this burger. Even my mum, who is really not much of a red-meat eater, was blown away by its simple and delicious flavour. After one bite, all my resentment for having queued for so long was instantly washed away, so much so that I found myself hurrying back for more only a few weeks later. This time I was a little wiser. When my boyfriend and I arrived at 9:30 to be told the queue was too long that they would unable to guarantee us a table that evening, instead of accepting defeat, we played on the fact that there was just the two of us and we were more than happy to eat at the bar - ten minutes later we were sitting at the bar, drink in hand, and ordering our food - ideal!

Having raved about the food to anyone that would listen to me since my first visit, I was slightly apprehensive that it might not live up to expectations second time around. However, the burger was as good as I remembered and the lobster was cooked to perfection; juicy and sweet meat, with a slight smokey aftertaste from being flashed on the grill, and coated and a rich lemon and garlic butter. Accompanied by salty chips and a salad, all for £20, I would recommend this restaurant to anyone that has the time to spare. Good things come to those who wait.


Burger & Lobster:

29 Clarges street, Mayfair London W1J 7EF

No comments:

Post a Comment