Wednesday 5 June 2013

ZUMA

I can't pretend to call this a review, because in all honesty it's closer to outright lobbying! Zuma is easily one of my favourite restaurants in London. Once the stream of plates begin to arrive at the table I often find myself overwhelmed by the deluge of beautiful dishes. My focus turns to making sure I get my fair share of the food (before my family devour it all!), leaving me little time to seriously contemplate the array of flavours, let alone having enough time to stop and photograph them!

Consequently, this 'review' has very little to say about individual dishes, but what I can say is that I have been lucky enough to eat at the fabulous Zuma several times now, and never once have I come away feeling anything short of euphoric! I realise that's a big statement to make, but if you read some of my other reviews you will see that I am not always so easily pleased - however, I would put my budding reputation on the line to back Zuma.
This is not to say that Zuma is without faults. I find the bar area seriously unappealing in as much as it is always choc-a-bloc with city types schmoozing on glammed-up women. In itself this is not a problem, but in order to reach the bathrooms you have to elbow you're way through the crowd and back.  Furthermore, the food is expensive by anyone's standards.

Nevertheless, given the opportunity,  I have chosen to go back to Zuma time and time again because food has been consistently good, if not exceptional. Whilst I admit that I'm a massive sucker for (good) Japanese food, it must be acknowledged that: a) the decor is also very appealing - the right balance between trendy and sophisticated. b) The restaurant is always busy, filling it with a fun, buzzy atmosphere. c) the service is good.
Speaking of which, on entering the restaurant not so long ago, the new manager recognised my dad, having recognised him as a regular and valued customer at another restaurant a few years before. He made a point of coming over to our table, to say hello and welcome us, and a few minutes later a a huge 'boat' of Zuma's finest sushi arrived on our table, "compliments of the management". Now that's how to run a restaurant in style!

What to order: 
As a general rule, I wouldn't bother ordering sushi at a restaurant like Zuma (although it was superb),  because I'm of the opinion that you can eat sushi in lots of places, why not try some of the more exciting and unique dishes on offer? Trust me, they're worth it!





The only dish that I've tried that I wouldn't order again is the tori no tebasaki (sake grilled chicken wings with sea salt and lime), which, whilst tasty, just can't compete with some of the other items on the menu. I also used to think that the deserts were a slight anti-climax at the end of such a fantastic meal, but the last time I was there they had changed the desert menu, and now I'd say they more than hold their own. Beautifully presented and an exciting fusion of modern western tastes with traditional Japanese styles and ingredients.













My Personal Favourite: 
gyuhire sumibiyaki karami sauce zuke
spicy beef tenderloin with sesame, red chilli and sweet soy



ZUMA
5 Raphael Street
Knightsbridge
London SW7 1DL

No comments:

Post a Comment